Here's some resources to help you build awesome open data apps, prototypes and visualizations.
City of Vancouver Open Data Catalogue
Check out the City of Vancouver's Data Catalog. If you have questions about a data set you would like to use feel free to email email@example.com.
City of Surrey's Open Data
Check out the City of Surrey's Open data sets.
BC Developer's Exchange
Check out what's available with the BC Developer's Exchange listed API's, programs, projects and more.
- http://api.bcdevexchange.org (API list)
- GitHub: https://github.com/BCDevExchange
DriveBC road event data is available through the API machine consumable formats (XML & JSON).
Fraser Health Open Data
Fraser Health Data and data standards. Please provide suggestions on how to improve their data sets and standards through GitHub issues, and tweet @FraserHealth with your questions.
WorkSafeBC Open Data
Find data on injury characteristics, claim costs and assessment information from WorkSafeBC.
The Data BC Catalogue includes public government data, applications and web services. These datasets are under multiple license types, with thousands of datasets under the Open Government License - British Columbia.
Government of Canada Open Data Catalogue
Data about Government of Canada services, financials, national demographic information and more or high resolution maps.
Health in Canada
Resource for Canadian health statistics.
You may also want to check out the Chronic Disease Infobasehttp://infobase.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cubes/index-eng.html
Global Affairs Canada Open Data
International assistance and the former Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) Open Data.
Open Data Across Canada
Links to many of the provincial and municipal open data sets across Canada.
UBC Open Collections & Open Collections Research API
UBC Library's Open Collections include digital photos, books, newspapers, maps, videos, theses and more. These publicly-accessible collections are constantly growing and reflect the research interests of the UBC community and beyond.
Open Data Exchange
Check out Canada’s Open Data Exchange powered by ThinkDataWorks.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
A Code for Canada Project. An open source parking implementation with a slack bot interface and stripe payment.
Microsoft’s cloud platform: a growing collection of integrated services—compute, storage, data, networking, and app—that help you move faster, do more, and save money. But that’s just scratching the surface. Free trial available for developers.
AppPulse Mobile gives developers of mobile apps the ability to test their apps without the need for multiple and expensive devices or contracts. There is free trial for new app developers.
Google Refine Google Refine is a power tool for working with messy data, cleaning it up, transforming it from one format into another, extending it with web services, and linking it to databases like Freebase.
ScraperWiki specializing in getting data from the web, spreadsheets and PDFs
Elasticsearch: Distributed, scalable, and highly available; Real-time search and analytics capabilities; Sophisticated RESTful API.
- Tableau Public
- Google Spreadsheet
- Google Chart Tools
Maps / Geo
- BC Geographic Data and Services
- BC Physical Address Geocoder
- Google Maps API
- Google's Fusion Tables (beta)
- Free Map Tools
- Data Layers for Google Earth
- Path Tools Simulator for Google Earth
Design / UX
- Google Web Fonts directory of web fonts for the world to use. Our API service makes it easy to add Google Fonts to a website in seconds. The service runs on Google's servers which are fast, reliable and tested. Google provides this service free of charge. All of the fonts are Open Source.
- Google Ad Grants Google Ad Grants is the nonprofit edition of AdWords, Google's online advertising tool. Google Ad Grants empowers nonprofit organizations, through $10,000 per month in in-kind AdWords™ advertising, to promote their missions and initiatives on Google search result pages.
- Site Naming Ideation